Musculoskeletal conditions refer to the disorders that affect the nerves, muscles, tendons, joints, blood vessels and ligaments.
Also known as MSDs, these conditions are not to be overlooked, as they can compromise your quality of life in the long run if left untreated.
Musculoskeletal Disorders: An Overview
Our daily tasks, or specifically, the way we perform them, can sometimes require too much effort, causing bodily pain and resulting in more serious injuries over time.
Musculoskeletal disorders first manifest themselves as mild discomfort, which can turn into severe pain if not resolved.
Below are some of the most common MSDs that we treat in our rehabilitation clinic in Ottawa.
Types of Musculoskeletal Disorders
Common musculoskeletal disorders include, but are not limited to:
- Tendinitis: Inflammation of a tendon
- Epicondylitis: Inflammation of the wrist extensor tendons
- Tenosynovitis: Inflammation of a tendon and the surrounding synovial sheath
- Bursitis: Inflammation of a synovial bursa
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Pinching of a nerve in a channel formed by bones and a wrist ligament
- Tension Neck Syndrome: Pain and stiffness with tenderness of the trapezius muscle
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome: Compression, injury or irritation of the nerves or blood vessels in the chest area
- Interdigital Neuritis: Intermittent ache or cramping of the toes
- Ruptured or Herniated Disc: A problem with one of the disks that sit between the individual vertebrae
- Mechanical Back Pain: Aches triggered by the movement of the spine
In total, musculoskeletal disorders comprise more than 150 diagnoses that affect the locomotor system.
They may be related to work, daily life or simply age. To prevent worsening of symptoms, the best one can do is to seek professional treatment.
Treatment for Musculoskeletal Conditions
Musculoskeletal disorders are generally characterized by persistent pain and limitations in mobility, reducing people’s ability to work and take part in social activities.
This can often affect mental wellbeing, too.
Currently, MSDs are one of the leading causes of disability worldwide. While their prevalence varies by age and diagnosis, over 20% of people across the globe are struggling with a painful musculoskeletal disorder.
The good news is these conditions can be treated.
For some acute musculoskeletal pain, rehabilitation techniques have been shown to speed recovery. Besides medication, other treatments like acupuncture, relaxation techniques, chiropractic care, occupational therapy and therapeutic massage can help restore normal function to the body.
Rehabilitation for Musculoskeletal Disorders in Ottawa
Musculoskeletal rehabilitation combines therapeutic methods and exercise in order to return the individual to normal function.
Treatment should start early in the disease process to minimize the deleterious effects of immobilization.
Although musculoskeletal rehabilitation can make one feel sore for a short time afterwards, our specialists will make sure you are not injured during the treatment.
At the Broadview clinic in Ottawa, we offer a free initial consultation for any condition or treatment. We have incorporated leading edge technology such as active therapeutic movement, laser therapy and advanced traction protocols, which can help speed recovery of targeted muscle groups.
Broadview provides a revolutionary, research-based approach to musculoskeletal disorders in Ottawa. Contact us to find out more and get started on the road to healing and recovery with treatment for musculoskeletal conditions.